Friday, February 15, 2008

danger will robinson!

*
Booked a GREAT band last night for a VDay wedding at Ouisie's Table.

Brought in my buddy PIDO from Denton to croon us a tune or two, had Devin Collins on keys, Glen Ackerman on bass, and my new favorite person, Chuck Payne with these funny looking stick thingies banging away on some weird fancy can-like apparatus. Hmmm....

We were booked through my colleague Robert Shipman of Haute Soiree for this wedding back when it was originally set for the couple's newly finished Montrose home, but rolled with the punches when it was moved to their favorite restaurant, managed by a personal friend, I would like to add. 

Had the pleasure of meeting and hearing the Mark Towns Duo with Tim Ruiz on bass...classy stuff, guys.

The band was (of course) as good as it gets. PIDO was all kinds of "On" and the guests actually listened and watched the band for much of the night--which I have NEVER seen at a wedding. The priest, the photographer and the manager (ooh! sounds like the opening of a good joke!) all asked for cards and expressed their true admiration. Good money, good food, free booze, and watching the last guest walk out the door an hour and a half before contract end; all in all a smashing good time.

The truffled mac and cheese was so good I nearly passed out from the tremors of pleasure that coursed through my body. Um. Ok that was awkward. My mom reads this...

The country fried venison steak was equally delectable. (Minus the gravy...ew.)

Avoid the greens. 

The best part about laid back gigs like this one is the quality time spent with "the boys in the band." A more, er, colorful conversation you have not heard until you sit in the break room with a bunch of jazzers. 

I heard the "Ackerman vs. the Lot Lizard" story for the 2nd delightful time. Everyone needs to ask Glen about this one...he tells it with a trucker's zeal.

Looking forward to working with Henry Darragh on Wednesday and an as yet undisclosed bassist...last minute calls always make me anxious...oy



*If you want to know what the heck this post has to do with its title, you will have to take me to dinner, get me liquored up and ask me to be indiscreet...the band knows and that is sufficient for my amusement.

No comments: