Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Can you take me higher?

Saturday night's gig was...er...well, it went smoothly, I suppose. No major blips, a few hiccups, but at least no one broke any bones, which was actually a genuine concern!

Allow me to explain. During the days and weeks leading up to this event, I was told the band and I would be performing on a 10ft high platform stage and that we and our equipment would be hoisted up to the stage via hydraulic lift. That changed to just the equipment getting a lift, and the band and I had to climb a ladder, me in my full length evening gown and stilettos. Cake.
Upon arrival, we find that the lift only lowers to about 4.5 ft and only raises another 12 inches or so, thus being a bit more like a large stair or step, up which we still had to climb a 3 rung ladder. To make matters even more interesting, the lift had no gate, so we had to climb, not just the ladder, but also the actual railing of the lift AND the scaffolding of the platform AND the round exposed architectural pipe work of the George R Brown Convention Center's Main Lobby, which looked like this:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Those white round 8 inch pipes on the far right were what we used to get from lift to stage. Needless to say, I climbed sans stilettos. The second set I didn't even bother putting my shoes back on since no one below could see my feet.

Despite a few equipment snafus, a momentary miscommunication in the band during a tune or two and some scheduling issues, the end result was a good time and some decent music. Thanks to Jon and Dan of J & D Entertainment for this fun quirky gig!

The entire night was something of a comedy of errors, but Glen and Devin took everything in stride, and their calm demeanors set me at ease. It is hard to stay nervous and worried when I am doing what I truly love with colleagues I trust to support me and admire as artists.

So far, so good.


No comments: