Tuesday, February 26, 2008

feast or famine

So true.

It is Tuesday and I (sadly) have nothing to blog about in relation to the pro-musician lifestyle.

The weekend's concert series was lovely. Saturday night was particularly memorable. I got chewed out for having water on stage on Friday. Granted, I NORMALLY would not take water onto the stage during a performance, but this nasty cough has plagued me during every rehearsal, thanks to the scream fest that is Carmina Burana. My logic: better to surreptitiously sip a bit to quell the tickle rather than lose it during the pensive quiet moments in the soprano's Carmina solo. Of course, I was caught on the big screen cameras. My luck. I was NOT the only one with water on stage by a very long shot. I was just the one that got caught in 20 foot glory. I was informed I should not have sung at all if water was necessary. Not by the director, but by the self important chorus manager. In hind sight, perhaps she was right. Needless to say, I had a far better remedy for Saturday night. I am STILL rolling my eyes in unabashed self righteousness about this. I have a problem, people.

Upcoming excitement:

Going in the studio with Devin Collins, Glen Ackerman, (hopefully) Chuck Payne, and Paul Peacock. Assuming we can fit all our open days/booked nights schedules into the studio's engineer's opposite schedule.

I was crazy busy the last few weeks and now I am staying in bed until noon and in my pajamas until I have to leave for HSC rehearsal.

Oh well.

Devin has almost finished my first ever commissioned arrangement for the new mini big band I am putting together this Spring. I am very excited about the whole project and really look forward to what this group will be capable of!

Paul has begun an arrangement of an obscure tune that Ella Fitz sang on an album with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra, a gem of an album with several GREAT tracks that are NEVER done. I am learning every one of them and adding them to my book. I LOVE singing the lost jewels that no one does anymore!

2 comments:

Devin Andrew Collins said...

You rocked Saturday night! Don't let those nelly bottom chorus boys get to you, they're just jealous THEY didn't get caught on the big screen!!

Lady Ice said...

Ahh, how wonderful that Murphy guy is... It obviously goes without saying that had there been no water, there would have been no Jumbotron sighting. However, I am also sure that despite your lips being wrapped around something other then a song, you still looked fabulous.